Thursday, January 18, 2018


1-18-17
My writing process involves, like my art, a level of abstraction. I find the things I tend to write about creatively, resemble a detached thought or a hidden thought I’ve had before. The aim of the thought itself in the work is not direct to my experience and instead is manifested in an alternate scenario I write in. This way the work can become anyone’s experience. For instance I wanted to write about the intense fear that I have of changing for the worse and becoming someone who is cruel so I wrote a scifi breakup story from the perspective of person x who waits for 3 years to see person y while person y has waited 10 years due to different time interferences in their stationed work places in the universe but person x is the one that loses interest and is guilt ridden by it. It’s not really about the break up and it’s not really about falling out of love but I bridge it to what I want to talk about without making it about myself. I also find that I am drawn to simpler words in my writing. I feel as though they have more impact that way because I feel that a word no matter how loyal in definition to the feeling, cannot equate it. Furthermore I feel as though complicated words alienate audiences who were not fortunate to have the same education as me. Ultimately I believe if a message cannot be understood because it is far too complex in dialogue then it has failed it purpose and becomes a form of ego.

No comments:

Post a Comment